Book Review: The Total Money Makeover
We did a lot of driving last week and thought a good audio book would pass the time. We settled on a “Total Money Makeover”, by Dave Ramsey. The goal of the book is to give readers hope and a plan for financial freedom.
It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery. ~Galatians 5:1
This verse about freedom is a favorite of mine. The phrase that always catches my eye is “do not let yourself be burdened again by a yoke of slavery”. Christ died to set us free from the wages of sin and death. Paul is clearly stating that it is our responsibility to choose to live in freedom.
In this verse Paul is warning of the danger of living under the law rather than by grace through Christ. However, freedom from bondage is part of God’s purpose for your life. This includes financial freedom.
Now the Lord is the spirit, and where the spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. ~2 Corinthians 3:17
Ramsey points out 7 steps to financial freedom that he refers to as “baby steps”.
Simple baby steps to financial freedom:
- The first step is putting $1,000 into savings.
- Step 2 is paying off debt with the snowball method. The snowball method is starting with the smallest debt and moving through to the largest until its all paid off.
- The next thing Ramsey recommends is establishing an emergency savings account with three to six months worth of expenses.
- Next, invest 15% of your income into retirement.
- After that, you begin saving for your children’s college fund.
- Step 6 is working towards paying off your home early.
- And the final step is building wealth and giving generously.
My favorite things about the book:
Dave Ramsey is to the point. He doesn’t circle the block 20 times before moving on. The audiobook only took about three and a half hours, but was packed with information.
His plan includes quick wins. Quick wins are encouraging and motivating in order to stay the course.
A couple of my favorite Ramsey quotes:
“Live like no one else so one day you can live like no one else.”
“It’s not complicated, but it is difficult.”
Overall, his plan is practical and simple. Ramsey is candid and to the point. I plan to check out his book smart money smart kids.
God’s purpose for your life includes freedom. We have to choose live in freedom and that includes financial freedom.
Dave Ramsey’s book “The Total Money Makeover” gives a simple and practical plan for financial freedom.
Leave a Comment